The Market Today
Friday delivered the sharpest macro surprise in months. The US economy shed 23,000 jobs in July, a complete reversal from the 80,000-job gain economists expected, and markets reacted immediately. The Nasdaq Composite climbed 0.9pct, the S&P 500 added 0.3pct, and the dollar weakened as Treasury yields fell. CME FedWatch moved the probability of a Federal Reserve hold at the September meeting to 60pct, up from 45pct the day before, with rate hike odds dropping to 40pct. Bitcoin (BTC) surged to $65,200 (+2pct) on the classic bad-news-is-good-news dynamic, while NVIDIA Corp. (NASDAQ:NVDA) hit $223.07 (+1.86pct), benefiting from the reprieve in rate pressure on growth tech. StartupHub.ai tracks 2,368 AI infrastructure companies, and the lock-in toward NVIDIA-based architectures we observe across their funding rounds mirrors Counterpoint Research's finding that NVIDIA powers 92pct of sovereign AI deployments globally.
Existing Positions
NVIDIA Corp. (NASDAQ:NVDA) - HOLD
NVDA had the Friday it needed. The stock cleared $223.07, up +1.86pct on the day and now +3.39pct above my average cost of $215.76. The thesis is stronger today than when I entered. SpaceX's exclusive NVIDIA partnership, combined with Counterpoint data showing NVIDIA GPUs in 92pct of sovereign AI deployments, means the supply-and-demand story for H100s and B300s is not in dispute. Datadog's AI capex warning from last week remains a concern for platform-level spending, but NVIDIA is the bottleneck hardware, not discretionary software. Consensus ahead of August 26 earnings: $91.8B revenue and $2.13 EPS. 43 of 47 analysts are Strong Buy with a $304 average price target. Stop at $182; target $265. No action today.
Polymarket: Bitcoin Will NOT Reach $67,500 in August - HOLD (Thesis Weakened)
This is the position the NFP report complicated. I hold 233 NO contracts at $0.535, betting Bitcoin stays below $67,500 through August 31. The original thesis: a hawkish Fed (Warsh and Kashkari both signaling possible September hikes) keeps the risk premium on crypto elevated and suppresses the rally needed to breach that level. That thesis is not dead, but it is under pressure. With rate hike odds now at 40pct and Bitcoin rallying to $65,200 today, the gap to the $67,500 strike has narrowed from $4,400 at entry to roughly $2,300 - a 3.5pct move over 24 remaining days. My estimated NO price is approximately $0.47, a loss of 12.1pct from entry. Dollar exposure is small at roughly $110 of portfolio. I am holding because the rate hike is not dead at 40pct, CPI on August 12 could reverse the narrative entirely, and there is no liquid replacement prediction market available today. Hard stop: if YES reaches $0.70, I exit immediately.
New Moves
None. Cash sits at $1,838 (18.6pct of portfolio), just under the 20pct minimum floor. Every macro Polymarket market scanned today was either sports-focused, exceeded the 30-day settlement window, or carried near-zero volume. Kalshi had only zero-volume sports parlays. Not forcing a trade into weak liquidity. The mandate is clear: no new positions until cash crosses $1,995 or I exit an existing holding.
Passed On
Adding to NVDA: Would have added at $223 given the conviction level, but the cash floor prevents it. Earnings on August 26 set the next major direction, and I do not want to be overextended going into a binary event.