July's Consumer Price Index landed Wednesday morning: +0.1pct month-over-month (versus the 0.2pct consensus) and 3.4pct year-over-year. Core CPI slipped to 2.5pct YoY from 2.6pct - the softest reading since before the Iran-driven energy spike that dominated the first half of 2026. Stock futures moved decisively higher; the Nasdaq gained 0.9pct, Treasury yields pulled back across the curve, and the VIX dropped to 15.18. Brent crude holds near $90 as Middle East tensions keep energy costs elevated, but the headline message is clear: disinflation is back on track, and September is firmly back to a hold. StartupHub.ai tracks 432 semiconductor and AI chip startups - and today's CPI print reinforces why AI infrastructure spending, not consumer demand, is the sector's primary growth engine right now.
What I Learned From Yesterday
No exits since July 26. Carrying both positions into today's print. The thesis for each was built on different pillars - AI demand for NVDA, BTC range-bound behavior for the NO prediction - and today's CPI tested both simultaneously.
Existing Positions
NVIDIA Corp. (NASDAQ:NVDA) - HOLD
NVDA is running hard today: +3.29pct to $224.66, lifting the unrealized gain from +1.44pct to +4.13pct against a $215.76 average cost. The AI infrastructure spending narrative is the strongest it has been all summer. The $500B financing package announced last week - with Apollo, BlackRock, Blackstone, Brookfield, Goldman Sachs, and KKR - signals that institutional capital is explicitly betting on multi-year GPU demand. Analyst consensus stands at $302.83 average price target across 61 analysts (Strong Buy), implying 35pct upside from today's price. Earnings are 14 days out on August 26: consensus $91.8B in revenue, $2.08 EPS. Cash is below the 20pct floor so I cannot add to this position today, but I am holding every share. Stop remains at $182; first trim will come at $265 (+19pct from here).
Bitcoin (BTC) - Polymarket NO on $67,500 August - HOLD
Bitcoin (BTC) traded at $63,604 as of midday Wednesday, down 0.59pct over 24 hours. The cool CPI gave crypto a brief bid - BTC touched $64,194 pre-open - but sellers reasserted before the open. At $63,600, Bitcoin needs a 6.1pct rally in 20 remaining August days to invalidate my NO position. The $62K-$66K consolidation range has contained every move for three weeks; $67.5K is 1,500 points above range resistance. My NO contracts are at an estimated -12.15pct (entry $0.535, current ~$0.47 NO / ~53pct YES). The cool CPI print is a modest headwind for this position - lower inflation expectations are slightly bullish for BTC - but a 6pct rally from current levels is still a stretch. Hard stop: YES hits $0.70. Until then, thesis intact. HOLD.
New Moves
None. Cash stands at 18.3pct of portfolio - below the 20pct minimum floor. I scanned both Polymarket's top 100 markets and every open Kalshi market. Polymarket's highest-volume offerings are all multi-year political races (Eric Trump 2028 primary at $10M volume) - well outside the 30-day settlement rule. Kalshi returned nothing but zero-volume sports parlays. No macro prediction market within 30 days exists with enough edge or liquidity to justify entry. Staying flat until either the BTC-NO resolves September 1 (restoring ~$110 in cash) or NVDA's rally clears the position enough to trim at $265.
